The monks of Pluscarden Abbey offer a special opportunity to see at first hand what monastic life is about, during the weekend Friday 19th to Monday 22nd August 2016.
The invitation is extended to single young men, Catholics who practise their faith, aged 18 - 35.
There will be no charge for the weekend.
Anyone interested is invited to contact us (use the button below) or write to:
Fr. Benedict Hardy OSB
Moray IV30 8UA
“What can be sweeter to us than the voice of the Lord inviting us, dearest brothers? Behold, in his loving kindness he shows us the way of life. Having therefore girded our loins with faith and the performance of good works, with the Gospel as our guide, let us walk in his paths, that we may deserve to see him who has called us into his Kingdom.”
Rule of St. Benedict, Prologue, 19-21.
We hope that all participants will feel welcome and at ease. To this end, the following points should be noted:
• Arrival is best timed between 3pm and 4pm on Friday 19th August, to allow for allocation of rooms and settling in. An introduction to the weekend programme is scheduled for 4.30pm.
• All meals are provided. Breakfast is self-served in the guest house, where tea and coffee is always available. If participants have any important dietary requirements, please let us know in advance. Bedding and towels are provided, and each of the individual rooms has a wash basin.
• Showers and toilets are on each corridor. Participants should bring with them whatever they need for an overnight stay. It would also be useful to bring some extra clothes, suitable for outdoor work, as this will feature in the programme.
• As far as possible, an environment of quiet and recollection should be maintained; so it would be best if participants are prepared to forego their internet and social media contacts for the duration of the weekend. After the final prayer service of each day, silence should be maintained and all conversation avoided if possible.
• The Abbey is 6 miles south-west of Elgin. We would hope to meet participants at the station. Taxi from Elgin costs £16. Elgin has bus and rail stations, with regular services from Aberdeen and Inverness. The nearest airport is Inverness (Dalcross), which is served by a range of cheap flights available from Bristol, Gatwick, Luton and Manchester. There is a good bus service between the airport and Elgin.
“Members of religious families enjoy many helps towards holiness of life. They have a stable and solidly based way of life. They receive well-proven teaching on the way of perfection. They are bound together in brotherly communion in the army of Christ. Their Christian liberty is fortified by obedience... Rejoicing in spirit they make progress together on the road of charity.”
Vatican II, Lumen Gentium, n. 43