Experience life as a monk
The Pluscarden Abbey Monastic Experience Weekend is a long-established event which takes place every summer.
The community of monks offer this special opportunity for participants to experience what monastic life is all about. The opportunity is suitable for single men who are Catholic, practise their faith and are aged 18-35. There is no charge for the weekend.
Friday 18th to Monday 21st August 2017
“What can be sweeter to us than the voice of the Lord inviting us, dearest brothers? Behold, in his loving kindness he shows us the way of life. ”
Rule of St. Benedict, Prologue, 19-20.
What to expect
We hope that all participants will feel welcome and at ease. To this end, the following points should be noted:
• Arrival is best timed between 3pm and 4pm on Friday 18th August, to allow for allocation of rooms and settling in. An introduction to the weekend programme is scheduled for 4.30pm.
• All meals are provided. Breakfast is self-served in the guest house, where tea and coffee is always available. If participants have any important dietary requirements, please let us know in advance. Bedding and towels are provided, and each of the individual rooms has a wash basin.
• Showers and toilets are on each corridor. Participants should bring with them whatever they need for an overnight stay. It would also be useful to bring some extra clothes, suitable for outdoor work, as this will feature in the programme.
• As far as possible, an environment of quiet and recollection should be maintained; so it would be best if participants are prepared to forego their internet and social media contacts for the duration of the weekend. After the final prayer service of each day, silence should be maintained and all conversation avoided if possible.
• The Abbey is 6 miles south-west of Elgin. We would hope to meet participants at the station. Taxi from Elgin costs around £16. Elgin has bus and rail stations, with regular services from Aberdeen and Inverness. The nearest airport is Inverness (Dalcross), which is served by a range of cheap flights available from Birmingham, Bristol, Gatwick, Luton and Manchester. There is a good bus service between the airport and Elgin.
“Members of religious families enjoy many helps towards holiness of life. They have a stable and solidly based way of life. They receive well-proven teaching on the way of perfection. They are bound together in brotherly communion in the army of Christ. Their Christian liberty is fortified by obedience... Rejoicing in spirit they make progress together on the road of charity.”
Vatican II, Lumen Gentium, n. 43